Monday, October 06, 2008

Product Review: D-D EzeClean Equipment Cleaner

BEFORE
AFTER
EzeClean
Content approx. 200 ml

NOTES

Store in a cool and dry place. This package contains enough powder to make up 3.5 liters of EzeClean solution.


WARNING
Keep out of r
each of children. Take care when using the solution. Avoid breathing in the powder. In the event of contact with the eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of lukewarm water. If irritation occurs seek medical attention.

D-D EzeClean Equipment Cleaner formula can be used anywhere where lime deposits have formed, such as on aquarium equipment or in a domestic situation where hard tap water is present and causes problems.

EzeClean removes even the most obstinate lime deposits simply and effectively.

EzeClean formula is suitable for decalcifying pumps and pipes or any other piece of equipment that can be easily removed from the aquarium.

APPLICATION
EzeClean is best dissolved in clean freshwater. Take 6 measuring spoons of EzeClean powder and dissolve it in ½ liter of water.

Stir the EzeClean formula in a container with the water until the powder has dissolved. After a few minutes the solution is ready for use.

Immerse the equipment to be cleaned in the solution for approximately 2 hours. After 2 hours take the equipment out of the solution and rinse it off thoroughly with clean water.

IMPORTANT: The media must never be added directly to the aquarium.

BEFORE
AFTER
**Steve and Kira (myself) first tested EzeClean on 5/21/08. The following information and observations given is based on their personal experience. Results may vary from person to person.**

*Advi
sable to avoid skin and eye contact. It is a good idea to use safety goggles and gloves.
On 5/21/08, Steve and I added approximately 3 liters of RO/DI water and 36 scoops of EzeClean powder formula. As a safety precaution, rubber gloves were worn by Kira to avoid any irritation.

At 10:40am we submersed a modified Algae Free + Maxi-Jet that had stopped working (one thing we noticed is, when the dirty pump is submerged in the newly mixed solution, IT FIZZES!!).

At 10:50am, we put a Mag-Drive 12 into the EzeClean and water solution.
*Be careful when removing the shaft from the pump, as we learned the hard way. Our shaft broke during removal. Words of advice: Pull the shaft straight out. And do not force the front cover off of the pump!
At 11:30am, the impeller/shaft cover was completely clean. The pump body was clean, but still had a bit of debris on it. *Any debris left on it should easily wipe or brush off.

At 11:55am the purple algae started coming off of the Maxi-Jet. So far, so good! The Mag-Drive 12 is looking cleaner by the minute. It seems the calcium build up comes off easier than the purple algae. The calcium build up was off in about an hour, though the purple algae may take the full 2 hours (+) recommended, depending on the amount of algae and build up on it.

By 12:40pm the purple and all other types of algae were coming off very easily with light brushing with a toothbrush.

On 5/29/08 at about 5:50pm, we submerged a Seio M1100 pump into the old mixture of EzeClean that we had used a week ago. The water was still filthy, but somehow the EzeClean mixture was still going strong! The next day at 12:45pm we took the Seio out of the mixture and just had to lightly brush off the debris with a toothbrush. We are unsure if the EzeClean mixture was weaker, since we were reusing it, and is unknown if the pump would have been ready to brush within the 2 hours normally recommended for soaking time.

On 6/2/08, Steve and I took the Hydor Koralia 4 and the Tunze 6025 from our 90 gallon tank in the back of our office and decided these would be great for our next test! At 10:50am we started mixing the EzeClean in the bucket. Since it was a busy day at the office that day, we didn’t submerge the Koralia or the Tunze until 2:45pm. Within just one hour you could already see the difference in the pumps (and the water!!)! There was a “white-ish” foam floating on top of the water this time! A while later, you could see the once “white-ish” foam now had purples and browns and greens mixed with it! The water was completely murky and we couldn’t see anything below it in the water! We decided to let them soak some more overnight.

On 6/3
at 9:25am, I started brushing the pumps with a soft bristled toothbrush since they were so dirty and completely ‘caked’ with green and purple algae, anemones, calcium build up and “muck!" By this time, after soaking the pumps, I was actually able to easily remove the pump covers and impellers/shafts that we couldn’t remove before, due to them being sealed with algae and other build up.

One hour later, after a little bit of light brushing and slight scraping, the pumps were completely clean, reassembled and put back in the tank! They looked like new!