Upon initial inspection of the reactor, I was first taken back by the physical dimensions of the reactor and its generous aquarium size rating! The MR1 is rated for use on saltwater aquariums up to 250 gallons saltwater, and up to 500 gallons for freshwater tanks!
Height: 16" Overall Height / 14" Reaction Chamber
Width: 6" Overall
Reaction Chamber: 14" x 4"
Total Capacity: 155 cubic inches / .68 gallons / 86 fluid ounces / 2.6 litre
Next, I noticed the quality of design and solid construction. These reactors are solid, designed to last, and hand constructed in the U.S.A. The pieces and joints are channel-cut for maximum strength and strong bonding. This allows the pieces to sit tightly together before they are bonded, preventing leaks from the body. Holding the reactor, you can tell it's made with heavy gauge domestic acrylic, built to last heavy use.
The lid features a thumbscrew design with six thumb screws. This design not only provides a tight, secure seal it also allows for easy access when it's time to change the media. The acrylic lid is tapped and threaded to connect to two 90 degree 1/2" elbows. These elbows thread in securely, and to prevent a leak, Teflon tape is included for the threads. Hose barbs are also included to attach your flexible vinyl tubing to the elbows securely, so you won't have to worry about leaks.
The NextReef MR1 can be placed in your sump or next to your aquarium or sump. You can also use the included removable MR1 Hang-On Adapter to hang the reactor from the back (or side) of your aquarium or sump.
The MR1 is easy to assemble.
- First, unpack all the pieces to ensure the package is complete.
- Second fill the reactor with your media of choice. (You may need to rinse media first; follow the directions included with whatever media you choose to use.) Ensure that your media is "sandwiched" between the two sponges.
- Assemble the lid. Put a piece of the included Teflon tape on the threads of the 90 degree elbows and tighten. I would recommend installing the center elbow first as it's easier to spin it around to install it... to each their own.
- Attach the lid. If you hanging this from your aquarium or sump, you will want to attach the removable MR1 Hang-On Adapter at this time. Evenly hand tighten the thumbscrews. Ensure a tight seal.
- Connect your vinyl tubing to reactor and pump. Use the included plastic hose clamps to ensure a tight fit.
That's about it. The MR1 is easy to assemble and has a solid quality design. The NextReef MR1 Media Reactor is perfect perfect for phosphate control, de-nitrification or fluidized sand filtration and, as an added bonus, is ozone safe! You can view the MR1 Reactor and other NextReef Reactors at Marine Depot's NextReef Water Filters page.
Need more information on media reactors? Be sure to read How To Setup A Media Reactor by Keith MacNeil on the Marine Depot Knowledge Base or contact the Marine Depot Reef Squad at 800.566.FISH!