The EcoTech Marine VorTech MP10 Propeller Pump is arguably the most anticipated aquarium product to be released in 2009.
We were fortunate enough to see the pump in action at the Marine Aquarium Expo and it certainly seems to be living up to the hype. Feature-rich, elegantly designed, affordable and, finally, the perfect size for nano reefers.
Since we’re receiving so many questions about this product, we thought a blog post was in order to talk a little more about it and let you know precisely when it will be in stock.
EcoTech originally informed us they’d be shipping us the new MP10 in late spring, but now we’re looking at more of an early summer release … approximately mid-June.
Since these pumps are expected to sell out quickly, we are already accepting pre-orders. If you’re interested in reserving an MP10 today for $194.99 with free shipping, click here and place your order and we’ll send you your very own as soon as they arrive. We will not charge your card until the pumps are physically here in our warehouse and we begin processing your order. Pre-ordering basically just gives you a place near the front of the line, so to speak.
What’s so great about the MP10?
Well, for starters, it is the first EcoTech pump in the VorTech line that is specifically designed for nano reef aquariums. It is ideal for aquariums from 2.5 to 50 gallons and creates gentle flows of 500 to 1,575 gallons per hour, helping the tank to feel and move more like the ocean.
The motor is outside of the aquarium, meaning the VorTech may be positioned where it will be least visible. A magnetic couple transmits motion through your aquarium glass and, at the same time, clamps the assembly against your tank. All the electrical components are outside the aquarium and a variety of easy-to-program modes allow you to take full control of your aquarium’s water flow.
Let’s take a look closer look at the operational modes of the MP10:
- Feed Mode – Slows down your pump for 10 minutes to allow you to feed your aquarium.
- Constant Speed Mode – The pump runs at a constant speed you set based on your aquarium’s specific needs.
- Reef Crest Mode – Automatically simulates the high-energy conditions of a natural reef crest environment.
- Lagoon Mode – Automatically simulates a calmer, lagoon reef environment.
- Short Pulse Mode – Allows for wave pulse timings between 0.3 and two seconds, enabling the creation of FAST alternating flow throughout the tank.
- Long Pulse Mode – Allows for wave pulse timings of between two seconds and 60 seconds, enabling the creation of slow alternating flow throughout the tank.
- Night Mode – Enables the pump to operate for 14 hours in whichever mode is selected for the day and go back to Night Mode for 10 hours. Master pumps will tell their slaves to go into Night Mode as well.
- Pump Disconnect – Automatically shuts down the system if the wet and dry sides become separated.
The VorTech MP10 offers the smallest in-tank footprint of any pump capable of moving 1,575 gallons per hour. Here is a full breakdown of the pump’s specs:
- Flow: 500 to 1575 gph
- Wattage: 8 to 18 watts
- Maximum Tank Thickness: 3/8″
- Appropriate Tank Size Range: 2.5 to 50 gal
- Dimensions: Wet Side- 2.5″ diameter by 1.5″ long, Dry Side – 2.5″ diameter by 2″ long
- Clearance Needed Behind Aquarium: 2.25″
To watch videos of VorTech pumps in action, click here. For more information about the MP10, visit EcoTech Marine’s website, check out this brochure or simply leave your comments below and we’ll answer your questions here.