About the Owner
Hey all you reef nerds! My name is Cody Bean and I absolutely love reefing! I am 32-years-old and live in sunny Southern California with my beautiful wife, Annette, and my little dog, Aldo The Apache Bean.
I have kept aquariums all my life, but about 10 years ago, I started my first saltwater tank. With all the local fish stores nearby, wow, was that a mistake! My non-reef friends will never fully understand my addiction to reef keeping, but maybe some of you do!
I have had my fair share of ups and downs keeping reef aquariums, just like many hobbyists. But I have always tried to learn from those mistakes. A big reason for some of my success in the hobby is due to the marine aquarium clubs that I have had the privilege to be a part of. I have been a member of the Southern California Marine Aquarium Society (SCMAS) for many years now, as well as other clubs (SCRK, IEMAS, MASLAC and LARS) throughout Southern California. As a hobbyist, I am fortunate to be around so many knowledgeable reefers that share the same love and appreciation for the animals we keep.
I hope you enjoy my reef tank and encourage everyone to continue to share their passion with anyone willing to listen! There are so many ways to accomplish a great reef tank. My best advice would be to do what works for you and to stay as consistent with your routine as possible.
Thanks to Marine Depot for featuring my tank and capturing some great photos and video!
- Cody AKA "BeanMachine"
|Display Tank Volume||120 Gallons|
|Display Tank Dimensions||48" x 24" x 24"|
|Frag Tank Dimensions||18" x 18" x 8"|
|Glass or Acrylic||LeeMar - Eurobraced glass aquarium with Starfire Glass and custom made acrylic sump|
|Sump Volume||35 Gallons|
|Protein Skimmer||ATB 840 v2 w/ Sicce Pump|
|Media||AquaMaxx Carbon One Activated Carbon used in a filter sock below drain|
|BioPellets||Warner Marine EcoBak ULNS BioPellets|
|Live Rock||Approx. 100 lbs. of Real Reef, Pukani, and miscellaneous rock from local fish stores.|
|Substrate||2" sand bed with Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand|
|Flourescent T5HO||ATI 48" Powermodule 6 x 54W (approx. 100 to 500 PAR)|
|T5HO BUlbs||4 x Blue Plus, 1 x Coral Plus and 1 x Purple Plus|
|LED||Reef Brite 48" XHO Blue - run at 30% intensity|
|Photoperiod||T5 is 12pm - 9pm and LED is 9pm - 11pm|
|Refugium LED||2 x JBJ Nano Glo LEDs and 1 x Blue/Red LED Spot Light|
|Temperature||79° F - 80° F|
|Specific Gravity||1.025 - 1.026|
|pH||8.2 - 8.4|
|Alkalinity||8 - 9dKH|
|Fish||New Life Spectrum Pellets, Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 Flake, Ocean Nutrition Mysis & Cyclops, Reef Nutrition ROE, Rod's Food, Chefzilla's ChowDown, and a variety of other foods. I use American Marine Selcon on occasion. Fish are fed 1-2 times per day.|
|Coral||Reef Nutrition Oyster and Roti Feast 1- 2 times per week|
- Male Potter's Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon geoffroyi)
- Female Blackspotted Leopard Wrasse (Macropharyngodon meleagris)
- Male Blue Streak Cleaner Wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus)
- Male Blue Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus sp.)
- Female Hawaiian Flame Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus jordani)
- 2 x Male/ Female Yellow Canary Wrasses (Halichoeres chrysus)
- Female ORA Naked Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
- Male Wyoming White (Amphiprion ocellaris)
- Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
- Female Bellus Angel (Genicanthus bellus)
- Sunburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)
- Longspine (Blue Eye) Cardinalfish (Zoramia leptacantha)
- Snowflake Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
- Sanjay's Black Photon Clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris / Percula hybrid)
- Blue Velvet Damselfish (Paraglyphidodon oxyodon)
- Acropora sp.
- Zoanthid sp.
- Palythoa sp.
- Mushroom sp.
- Acanthastrea lordhowensis
- Trochus Snails
- Nassarius Snails
- Astraea Snails
- Rock Flower Anemones